History of Oliver Lodge
Oliver Lodge is named after the late Dr. Edmund H. Oliver who was the first Principal of St. Andrew’s College and the fourth Moderator of the General Council of the United Church of Canada.
1949: Oliver Lodge opened its doors on Idylwyld Dr.
Oliver Lodge had its beginnings in 1949 when a group of women from Knox and Third Ave United Churches saw a need for housing for widows of war veterans and other older single women. Saskatoon Presbytery of the United Church of Canada agreed, and then rented an abandoned air force barracks at the present site of Saskatchewan Polytechnic on Idylwyld Drive (formerly SIAST Kelsey Institute). The original facility housed 18 residents. Volunteers completed a considerable amount of the work. In 1950 another barracks was rented and Oliver Lodge grew to include 68 residents.
1962: Oliver Lodge opened a new 54-bed facility on our present Faulkner Crescent location.
2010: Completion of expansion of Oliver Lodge
Communities with their own living and dining rooms are features of this new facility, transforming Oliver Lodge into a home for 139 residents. Areas of the original building no longer house residents but made way for the administration offices, office space for the Alzheimer Society, woodworking room, staff training room, multi-sensory room, greenhouse, and a new physiotherapy area. A new Community Day Program area was also developed.